A detailed look at these classes revealed that:
– Peptides and nucleotides are very expensive to produce (high cost of goods)
– Peptides and nucleotides are high growth sectors with approximately double the market growth rate of the rest of the sector.
– The large number of synthetic steps required to make peptides and nucleotides leads to very high manpower costs.
– There is a need to adopt greener chemical processes to reduce financial and environmental costs.
– There is a need to reduce the time taken to bring new peptide and nucleotide products to market.
– There are established ‘solid phase’ peptide synthesis protocols that are compatible with the µLOT® environment.
– There are peptide and nucleotide therapies that have not reached patients due to their high cost of production.
This knowledge has reinforced the initial approach; that peptide pharmaceutical development and production was the preferred market entry route.
µLOT® A – Biomimetically Inspired – Platform Technology
µLOT® is a synthesis technology system inspired by the most fundamental of natural chemistry: the transcription of RNA into proteins by ribosomes in every living cell.
A platform technology has been invented that uses the same principles of the simultaneous processing of a linear chemical (RNA in the natural example) by a number of discreet reaction units. In the µLOT® system, the paradigm is an inversion of the natural physical process: there is a linear material moving through a number of zones as opposed to the zones (ribosomes) moving along the linear material (RNA).
µLOT® – A Continuous Flow Solid Phase Chemical Synthesis System
µLOT® uses a biologically inspired and innovative reaction system to allow multiple reaction and purification stages to be chained into chemical assembly line. In place of the RNA chain we use an elongate cord or ribbon that is functionalised with reactive chemical groups. This is moved continuously between the reaction and purification (washing) stages; the product being built up and then cleaved and collected using acid. A significant advantage of the continuous mode of operation is the ability to collect an analytical data stream, allowing the use of feedback loops to optimise individual steps and the correlation of analytical data with product collected from particular areas of the solid phase. This ‘spatial addressing’ of product purity into miniature lots (thus ‘micro-lots’ or µLot®s) is a significant advantage over the current practice of batch lot analysis.
µLOT® – A social responsibility undertaking
µLOT® has currently been developed to proof of concept stage, and is a radically new biomimetically-inspired chemical synthesis platform that brings the productivity benefits of an assembly line to pharmaceutical and fine chemical manufacture. The technology may in addition bring great benefits of lessened environmental impact through reduced waste streams and higher purity. When the µLOT® Platform Technology has been fully developed, the main objective is that complex molecular entities can be cost-effectively developed and manufactured allowing patients to access affordable, safe, and highly effective therapies, currently not available.